Cunningham Memorial Library Digital Exhibits

State-It

Share, view, and contribute photos and videos to State-IT and become part of ISU history

Burford Hall, 1959

Title

Burford Hall, 1959

Description

ARCHITECT:
Miller, Vrydagh, Miller

CONTRACTOR:
J.L. Simmons Co., Inc

DEDICATED:
October 18, 1959

COST:
$1,448,506.57

NOTES:
Named for Charlotte Schweitzer Burford, Dean of Women, 1910-1946. Houses 300 women residents.

FEATURES:
The strikingly beautiful and functional Burford Hall is already being recognized as one of the finest type of living quarters for women on the nation's college and university campuses. The efficient building plans are augmented by decorative and functional appointments which provide ideal atmosphere and living quarters for young women. Construction on the six-story building building was started March 1958 and was completed and occupied on September 13, 1959. The building was financed through a Federal housing and home finance Agency loan and is the first unit of a proposed three-unit housing development. The hall has thirty rooms, centrally located service areas, and a lounge on each of the five upper floors and provides housing for 300 students. The main floor houses a combination lounge-recreation room, the main desk, meeting rooms, offices, living quarters for hall directors, and the dining hall.

From the Dedication and Naming Ceremony

HISTORY
Mrs. Burford was instrumental in starting the movement for a women's residence hall on campus. She served thousands of young women and the college in her thirty six years as the second Dean of Women. She joined the faculty in 1902 and taught until 1910 before becoming dean.

Files

Burford Hall copy.tif

Collection

Tags

Citation

“Burford Hall, 1959,” Cunningham Memorial Library Digital Exhibits, accessed August 23, 2019, http://omeka.indstate.edu/document/547.

Document Viewer

Item Relations

This item has no relations.

Social Bookmarking

Comments

Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>

Embed

Copy the code below into your web page

Geolocation